Maximizing Patient Capabilities
When you or someone you love experiences a major illness or injury, you want life to return to normal - or as close to normal - as soon as possible. We can help.
St. Elizabeth’s Hospital's Comprehensive Rehabilitation Unit provides the care that maximizes the patient's capabilities. We assist in achieving full recovery potential allowing patients to live as independently as possible. We support patient families by providing them with the education, resources and encouragement needed to achieve positive outcomes.
Download our full guide to Inpatient Rehabilitiation, Home Health and Outpatient Services here.
Download our Rehab Unit Annual Report
The Rehabilitation Unit is accredited to provide services to those adults who have been affected by:
- Stroke Hip fracture
- Amputation Major multiple trauma
- Traumatic brain injury
- Non-traumatic brain injury
- Arthritis Joint replacement
- Spinal cord injury Congenital deformity
- Neurological disease
When admitted to our program, patients are treated by a multi-disciplinary team of caring professionals. Dr. Latha Ravi and Dr. Sri Patchala are physiatrists: physicians with special training in rehabilitation who lead the team. Our team of skilled therapists will assess your impairment and develop a care plan based on individual needs and capabilities. Because we believe in treating the “whole person”, not just the impairment, our caregivers may include professionals from a wide range of disciplines, including:
- Physiatrist – a physician who will oversee each individual rehabilitation process
- Physical therapy – to increase mobility, strength and balance
- Speech therapy – to assist with speech, problem solving, reading, memory, and swallowing.
- Occupational therapy – to teach skills for daily living activities
- Recreational therapy – to assist patients in re-entering the community and enjoying social activities
- Rehabilitation nursing – to provide training, encouragement and reinforcement of therapy recommendations
- Social services – to aid in admission and discharge from the hospital, with information about the community resources needed for continued care
- Audiology services – for hearing problems
- Dietary services – to address diet issues
- Psychological counseling – for individual and family counseling
- Spiritual counseling – for spiritual and emotional support
St. Elizabeth's 33 bed Comprehensive Rehabilitation Unit, founded in 1986, offers quality rehabilitation services with the warm tradition of caring that our hospital is known for.
Our Comprehensive Integrated Inpatient Rehabilitation Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). We are one of the few accredited rehab facilities in Southern Illinois and the only one available in St. Clair County.
Our mission is to promote self care and an optimal level of function for the persons served, who have an impairment, disability or handicap due to illness or injury. As we pursue our mission we will demonstrate the core values of Respect, Care, Competence, and Joy.
Referrals are welcome from physicians, hospitals, nursing homes and case managers. If you feel that you, or a loved one, would benefit from our services, please contact us at 618-234-2120 extension 1129.